10 reliable ways to fill up - an interview
So, 10 ways to "fill up" the interview:
Candidates making this error, fall into two categories: those who call to warn about their possible delay, and those who do not consider it necessary to do so. In the eyes of the employer or his representative, candidates for the first category people educated, familiar with the requirement of business etiquette, do not want to spend other people's time wasted. But they do not know how to plan your day, anticipate the occurrence of certain circumstances, accordingly, their personal efficiency may not be high.
Conclusion: a valid reason for the delay may be only the loss of life or receiving serious bodily harm! Everything else – traffic jams, a prolonged visit to the dentist, the inability to quickly find the address of the employer etc – this is an additional reason not to take this job.
Candidates in the second category, that is, those who came late and were not warned about it beforehand, seen worse. In the eyes of the employer, these people are rude, punctuality, not able to manage my time, not respecting the company and its employees are not interested in obtaining this work.
Conclusion: it's not hard to do, is it? Such a candidate is unlikely to get a job, especially if a job is open for a job.
2. It's inappropriate to get dressed.
Currently clothes is not a defense of the body against environmental influences. This specific language through which we broadcast to the world information about themselves. According to most scientists, the first impression is a 0.7% seconds, and finally formed a 15 -20 seconds. Image created with the help of clothes and accessories, needs to match the position for which you are applying.
What is natural and normal for you can be perceived negatively by the employer. For example: - You picked up tomatoes all morning in your yard, did not have time to change and turned up for an interview in the summer dress. Desired position - sales manager.
- The candidate earned very little in the former place, he does not have the means to buy decent clothes; he is not a successful specialist.
- The candidate does not consider it necessary to take care of his appearance, going for an interview: it means he does not appreciate the company and is not interested in finding a job.
- The candidate is able to appear in this form and to meet with potential clients of the company; he discredits the company - the employer in the eyes of customers.
— You learned from the wardrobe and put all the best and valuable, that managed to acquire in recent years: expensive suit, a mink coat to the floor, a diamond set and a stylish watch. Glad her reflection and went to the interview. Desired position – the seller – consultant in a prestigious furniture fair.
- The applicant is a very wealthy man, so will not be interested in the implementation of the plan and to increase the percentage of sales. The obvious purpose of employment – communication, the ability to "walk" their outfits to meet the communication needs.
- This candidate will bring strife to our established, friendly women's team. Envy is a factor destroying relations, and everyone will be envious of this candidate!
— You decided to go to the interview in his usual suit and shoes "every day", not bringing them in proper form. Public transport several times stepped on the foot and tore a button from his jacket. Desired position: chief accountant.
- Candidate looks very untidy: rumpled suit, buttons torn off, dirty shoes. It is likely that it is not accuracy. So, we expect errors in the documents are not timely delivered reports, problems with the IRS.
- The candidate does not understand how the chief accountant of our solid company should look like.
- Probably, the candidate too highly estimates himself as a specialist if he considers it possible to ignore the requirements of the dress code. Hence, it will qualify for a high salary.
Thus, we see: a small oversight by the candidate gives rise to a lot of negative conclusions about him from the employer. This should be remembered.
3. Do not be able to listen and speak in a timely manner.
Machinery of negotiation (and a job interview is a negotiation) deserves a separate article, and I'm not going to reveal in detail here about this topic. In the framework of this material will emphasize only the main points.
If the candidate is silent most of the time, the questions are answered concisely, monosyllabically, the employer draws the following conclusions:
- The candidate hides something, hides information, "on his mind."
- The candidate is an introverted, self-contained person, he will be uncomfortable working with him.
- The candidate is full of hidden complexes and personal problems; we do not need such employees in the company.
If the candidate says a lot, with unnecessary details, "goes into the jungle", too often uses the pronoun "I", the employer can decide the following:
- The candidate thinks only of himself, concentrates only on his own interests and desires.
- The candidate tries to manipulate me with the help of NLP techniques, leads away from a direct question.
- Candidate is not moderately talkative and not too, apparently, clever.
The most obviousconclusion. which should be done to the applicant, is as follows: the skills of active listening and negotiating are true helpers not only in the process of interviewing, but in general in life.
4. Do not know about the company - employer.
This error is made mainly by those candidates who place their resumes in a fan-like manner. Accordingly, they receive offers from the most diverse companies.
Often, having received several invitations, the candidates begin to go to job interviews, relying only on luck and luck, expressing their demands and wishes and absolutely knowing nothing about the employer, its needs and problems. This is fundamentally the wrong approach, doomed to failure.
If the candidate can not argue his choice and answer the question why he was interested in this particular company, the employer draws the following conclusions:
- The competitor does not care where to work. He is concerned only with his own interests.
- If at present, the age of the media and the Internet, the candidate has not found an opportunity to learn about the company - hence, his abilities are far from high.
- Probably, the candidate does not consider our vacancy seriously, came to the interview just like that, to try his luck - but what if they take it?
If this happens, you really managed to learn about the company –employer is very small, but you still decided to try their hand at the interview, you should take the initiative in their hands and ask the recruiter to tell you about this organization. This will demonstrate an interest in the company and jobs. But, of course, it is best to prepare in advance and be clear what organization you are going to work.
5. Do not know how to present yourself.
This error is directly related to the previous one. If you don't know anything about the company – employer, on what she aims, what problems need the most, you will be very difficult to prove that you are the one that is required in this organization.
The art of self-presentation is difficult in itself, without reference to the employer. Between excessive boasting and excessive modesty is a fine line, it should be able to find. And the interview is important not just to emphasize your strengths, but also to show how they will advance the company – employer.
Any commercial organization, regardless of ownership, shall be created and operated for profit. Perhaps there are other, higher goals, as a rule, they are reflected in the mission and values of the company, but the profit is the main goal of commercial activity. All tasks, complexity, problem areas of the organization, leading to lower profits, solved with the help of hired personnel, ultimately, should be eliminated. Your task is to show that you are able to do it.
During the interview, the employer should not remain in doubt about your abilities and abilities. Otherwise, he will make one - the only conclusion: "This candidate does not suit us!"
6. "Fail" on the cases and tests.
Cases, that is, situational problems, and different tests, revealing the identity of the candidate, is very popular in HR. In large companies they have become part of a structured interview with applicant.
To pass these tasks should be prepared also seriously, as well as the remaining stages of the interview. At the present time, a lot of such information is available in the public domain; You can buy special books, manuals, practice on-line testing.
If the candidate passes the case with negative results (which may be due to only the effect of surprise and excitement), the employer decides about its low suitability. Naturally, such an applicant will be denied employment.
7. Do not know how to make a profitable impression.
According to many authoritative authors, 55% of communication is transmitted on a visual level. Have a value of gestures (hands), foot position, body position in space, facial expressions (facial expression), eye contact, interpersonal distance, and overall appearance.
The acoustic part of communication consists, in turn, of the rate of speech, the timbre of voice, articulation, intonation, the complexity of spoken speech.
Big mistake not to take into account all these factors. If you confidently talk about their achievements in the previous job, but the voice, posture, gestures and facial expressions contradict words, the employer will make the only conclusion: "No way!"
8. To be afraid, to demonstrate the absence of stress resistance.
Is not a secret that for most candidates the interview is a lot of stress. Of course, if you do not have a strong psychological resistance, then show yourself in the best light would be extremely difficult. And the employer, noticing your excitement, can doubt either the veracity of your answers, or even in your potential to handle the upcoming work.
What will help you demonstrate stress resistance?
- First, the workout: before you interview for a company that truly interests you, you should work out with a friend or HR-rum, or with a personal career coach. If this is not possible, go through several interviews to be less interesting for you companies. Although this method I recommend in extreme cases. Having no real desire to find a job in these companies, you are just stealing the time of their employees, and it is not very ethical.
- Secondly, self-adjusting: create the right infusion of calm, confidence and victory will help a variety of techniques, from the correct breathing to visualization.
- Thirdly, if you are not able to cope with intense excitement, you can take a mild sedative. The main thing is that it does not affect the speed of your reactions and the quality of thinking.
9. Do not ask the "right" questions.
Often, answering the questions of the recruiter, the candidate happily takes the spirit and rushing in a hurry to leave the office, when they ought to relax and start to ask questions. First, so you can really get the important, meaningful information about the company and their possible positions. Secondly, to produce additional impact.
What questions should be considered "correct?" Those that demonstrate your competence in matters of employment and focus on effective work. For example:
— How does the process work in the organization? Under the labor contract, labor book, something else? (It is possible to register the job as an individual entrepreneur, the conclusion with them civil-law contracts, etc.) — What is the duration of the probationary period? — What are the expectations of the employer after the probationary period? — Based on what criteria is the wage from which it depends? — How many people will be in your submission if you are applying for a leadership position? Etc.
- on vacation; - about the sick-list; - about time off; - On benefits, compensation, etc.
Of course, this information is also necessary to possess, but to concentrate exclusively on such issues is unacceptable as they will form the employer's negative perceptions about you. It would be correct to ask them then in the personnel Department.
10. Do not prepare recommendations and recommendations.
If your candidate is interested in the employer, it is natural that he wants to get recommendations about you from previous employers. In my experience, many applicants find it difficult to provide recommendations and data references. This is a big mistake, like providing false information.
Recruiters and HR-ry always check the quality of advice and asked many "tricky" questions about the candidate. Therefore, the employee from whom you want to see positive recommendations should be well prepared for the upcoming conversation.
In this you can help a friend HR - specialist or personal career coach.
So, we considered 10 true ways to "fill up" the interview. Do not make these mistakes, and your chances of occupying a vacancy of interest will greatly increase!
Recent Questions on the Expert Forum
- that for me it is better (without consequences) to close the firm or the fraud of me-the owner and address?
Good day! Thinking with my husband about opening a store of sweets and confectionery products from natural products and natural chocolate, like Swiss. The question is, what kind of mistakes can novice businessmen make?
How to make work at home as productive as possible
Those who have already encountered work at home, know perfectly well: to concentrate at home is much harder, after all.