What are the duties of a system administrator?
IT specialists appointed as a system administrator should have appropriate specialized education, experience in the repair and maintenance of computer systems and office equipment, experience in installing and debugging software, know network protocols, and be able to build and debug local networks.
Depending on the type of activity and the size of the enterprise, the duties of the system administrator and the knowledge he needs may vary greatly. In small firms it is one person who has to deal with all the problems that arise. Large enterprises work with whole departments, where each specialist works on solving certain tasks.
Until 2000, there were no educational institutions teaching the profession of a system administrator.
- network administrator - development and maintenance of local networks. Knowledge of network protocols and networking is required;
- database administrator - it is necessary to know the languages of the operating systems on which the databases, protocols and database device are running;
- server administrator - in the hosting company is engaged in the installation of software and maintenance of server hardware. Knowledge of relevant programs and protocols is required.
The main duties of a system administrator are as follows:
- installation and debugging of software - programs are installed and modified for specific tasks. It is also necessary to monitor the availability of updates and install them in time, monitor the performance of the system after they are installed;
- timely repair and upgrading of computers and office equipment - the system should correspond to the tasks performed, quick diagnostics and troubleshooting should contribute to this;
- Solving network security tasks - install anti-virus and other protective programs and monitor their updating. Prevent unauthorized access and hacker attacks;
- restoration of the network operability after failures and illegal actions - it is necessary to make backups in order to quickly restore system operability in case of fatal failures;
The most common failure is getting liquid on a computer keyboard.
- setting up a local network and ensuring its normal operation - the normal operation of a modern enterprise depends on the reliable operation of the local network and all its components. Therefore, the timely elimination of failures and violations in the network becomes a priority;
- consultation, assistance and training of employees with software and local network - for the normal flow of the workflow, it is necessary to quickly solve the arising difficulties and problems of users, often unable to solve even elementary issues on their own.