What is the responsibility of the system administrator
IT-specialists appointed to the position of system administrator must have the appropriate profile education, experience in repair and maintenance of computer systems and office equipment, experience in installing and debugging software, know network protocols and be able to build and debug local networks.
Depending on the type of activity and the size of the enterprise, the duties of the system administrator and the knowledge necessary to him can vary greatly. On small firms, this is one person who has to deal with all the problems that arise. At large enterprises, entire departments work, where each specialist works on solving specific problems.
Until 2000 there were no educational institutions teaching the profession of a system administrator.
- network administrator - development and maintenance of local networks. Knowledge of network protocols and network devices is necessary;
- database administrator - you need to know the languages of the operating systems on which the databases, protocols and database device are running;
- server administrator - in the hosting company is engaged in installing software and servicing the server hardware. Knowledge of relevant programs and protocols is necessary.
The main duties of the system administrator are as follows:
- installation and debugging of software - programs are installed and modified for specific tasks. It is also necessary to monitor the availability of updates and install them on time, monitor the system after installation;
- timely repair and modernization of computers and office equipment - the system must comply with the tasks to be performed, quick diagnostics and troubleshooting should facilitate this;
- solution of network security tasks - install anti-virus and other protection programs and monitor their updating. Do not allow unauthorized access and hacker attacks;
- restoration of network performance after failures and misconduct - it is necessary to make backups in order to quickly restore the system's operability in case of fatal failures;
The most common breakdown is the ingress of fluids on the computer keyboard.
- Setting up a local network and ensuring its regular work - the normal operation of a modern enterprise depends on the reliable operation of the local network and all its components. Therefore timely elimination of failures and disturbances in the work of the network becomes a priority task;
- Consultation, assistance and training of employees with the software and local network - for the normal flow of the workflow, it is necessary to quickly solve the emerging difficulties and problems of users, often unable to solve even the most elementary issues.