How to successfully pass an interview by phone
If an unsuccessfully completed resume can simply be rewritten, then the wrong word spoken at the interview, especially if it is a phone call, can reduce all career plans to zero.
What you need to know about the phone interview?
A distinctive feature of the phone interview – no eye contact. We are so accustomed to trust my eyes, which sometimes don't believe the speeches. But in this situation we may not like the employer externally, then come to the rescue of the English language.
Not every one of us has a unique voice, but often this is not required. Phone interview is a preliminary probing of the situation. The conversation included not only important information but also personal emotions on both sides. Talking with the direct employer or his assistant, you need to make an impression. But what should be this impression?
Good idea to take into account the specifics of the selected works. If you get a job where you have frequent business negotiations, without any knowledge of business etiquette, including telephone, can not do. But if in the workplace you have to communicate with the elderly and disabled, then you need the touch of compassion, the ability to translate the conversation in the right direction, to gently persuade. It is you who must demonstrate with the first sentence of the conversation.
What does the employer pay attention to?
1. Punctuality, in the case of a preliminary agreement about the call.
2. The adequacy and manner of conversation of the applicant.
4. The ability to listen and express your thoughts.
5. Confidence in the voice, awareness of their own intentions.
6. Interest in the job.
7. Relevance to the desired position.
If the employer calls himself
When you call yourself, then there is a time to gather internally and tune in to the conversation, but what if the bell rings at an unexpected moment? Here come the four postulates:
Specify the purpose of the call and immediately give an answer on the merits. Do not say more, it is better for a few seconds hold a conversation, do not interrupt the interlocutor. Don't be afraid of pauses. In case if an unexpected call caught you in the wrong place, do not be afraid to carry the conversation: offer to call back later or at a specific time. If you are interested in this call, discard immediately.
What is important to do during a conversation?
Another feature of a telephone conversation is its brevity. Usually no more than 20 minutes are allocated for an interview, and sometimes only 5-7. During this time, it is advisable to do the following:
- find out details about the free vacancy;
- to decide whether a similar position is suitable for you;
- if there are big doubts, it is better to immediately refuse to continue the negotiations;
- clarify the exact schedule of work, the size and schedule of payments of remuneration;
- find out the correct name of the organization, its address and contact details;
- ask the name of the person with whom you are talking;
- discuss the place and time of the meeting for further interviewing;
- ask the name of the one who will be at the meeting;
- If you are in doubt about the exact location of the address, do not hesitate to ask the area or another landmark;
- Understand whether this is a real job or another scam.
Some more tips
Make a list of questions that you need answers, and a list of questions to ask you. Determine for yourself the time when you are free for a further interview. Learn in time to say no, don't be afraid to ask if something is not understood the first time. Is set and the atmosphere in the room. Choose a place where no one will disturb you, sit comfortably at the table, prepare a notebook, make sure that your phone. And remember that even if you are refused, it is still the result, at least you have the experience of a phone interview.