Tip 1: How to plan a manager's working day
Planning and organization of working time is an important component of effective work in any capacity. In the case of the position of the head, the importance of advance planning increases even further, so you must be very careful approach to this issue.
The Manager can schedule their own time or to fully or partially delegate this function to the Secretary-referent. In any case, without interaction with the Secretary can not do, as it is engaged in preparation and organization of meetings, materials for meetings, takes incoming calls. Moreover, the Secretary usually keeps in mind all the known plans of the head and tries to distribute them on working time, so it is very important to timely notify the Secretary of changes in their plans.
But you should not rely solely on the Secretary, it is important to learn how to allocate your time so as to have time to do everything planned. A good way is to analyze each of the past hour figuring out what was done, and how much time it took. It is also necessary to highlight the major global challenges in the post of Director and main working time to dedicate to them. In any case, the most important tasks should be addressed first, since it is known that for the first 20% of the working day, to solve 80% of the current tasks and the rest of the time is spent on only 20% of the work.
Don't let a random event to wipe out your schedule. It is better to lay on them some time in the plans, it will make you more likely to have time to perform basic tasks. Planning meetings, events, meetings, conferences based on the real time which they will require tailored training, prior experience with materials, spontaneous discussions and questions. Try to post such events in time to the beginning of the next meeting has not rested on the end of the previous one, since in this case you'll often either have to be late, or to crumple the finals.
The duties of a Secretary often includes the preliminary planning for the day and week, subject of calls, proposals, invitations. Preferably the end of the day to discuss with the Secretary his view of your chart, making adjustments. Its better to do it in the afternoon that the Secretary had the opportunity to make changes, make calls with a proposal to postpone an event. Constant contact with the Secretary needs to get in the habit, after all, his schedule depends on your, and many events require advance preparation on his part.
Analyze past working days from the point of view of efficient allocation of his time. Perhaps you will see solutions that will allow you to do more, such as holding several meetings in one area, or combine any event. Make notes of the held and planned events in the diary.